The dachshund, aka “weiner dog” is characterized by its long-backed body, little legs, and lively character, are sent hounds initially bred to be hunting dogs. Still, their versatility makes them excellent family companions too. Although they are mainly described as a lively and entertaining breed, they tend to sleep a lot. Dogs, just like humans, snore, and you might be wondering if your dachshund snore is normal.
It is normal for dachshunds and miniature dachshunds to snore. Snoring in dogs, like in humans, occurs when air movement is restricted in the nasal passageways or the throat. While snoring can be normal in a dachshund, it could also be an early warning indication that something isn’t right.
Don’t worry about your dachshund snoring if it has always been snoring and is active and healthy. Although it is perfectly normal for a dachshund to snore, sometimes it might be due to harmful health issues. If a dachshund starts snoring suddenly and the snoring is consistent and pervasive, you may want to see your veterinarian.
Why Do Dachshunds Snore
The reason that dachshunds snore is related to the size of its nose. The tip of a dachshund nose is very long. Just like humans, snoring is due to a restriction of airflow in the nasal passage or throat.
A snoring dachshund could be doing so for many reasons that might be harmless or harmful. In general, when a dachshund snores, it is because its airway is blocked or restricted and causes them to breathe in a rapid shallow manner.
There are several reasons that can cause a dachshund to snore while sleeping. There are harmless causes that make a dachshund snore, most of which can be inexpensively remedied, while other causes might be serious health issues that require medical attention.
Reasons why dachshunds snore:
A dachshund can snore if it’s on medication. Some medications, such as pain relievers, muscle relaxants, and tranquilizers, might cause your dog’s muscles to relax. Muscles in the throat might loosen up and cause snoring. When the medication stops, so does the snoring.
- Sleeping position
A reason that can cause a dachshund to sore might be sleeping on their backs. This causes the tongue to partially obstruct some air movement.
Sometimes, the cause of a dachshund snoring can be the way you feed them. If you don’t watch, your dachshund can become fat and lazy. Being overweight can have excessive tissue in their neck and throat that collapse around the neck while they sleep, interfering with the free flow of air causing them to snore.
Dachshunds can be sensitive to many things, just like us humans, and they develop allergies. This may include allergies to dust or pollen and other dander. Allergens can cause nasal swell and have inflammation in a dachshund, restricting airflow.
- Common Cold
Just like humans, dogs can get sniffles too. Dachshunds like to feel warm, cozy and protected when they sleep, and you would find that they tend to sleep under blankets. Their poor tolerance to cold makes them vulnerable to get a cold, whose many symptoms flare up the nasal cavity and restrict airflow.
This is a medical condition where the body doesn’t make enough thyroid hormone to regulate metabolism. Its symptoms, which include weight gain and an intolerance to cold temperature, affect the nasal cavity, leading to snoring while a dachshund sleeps. Hypothyroidism is sometimes related to sleep apnea, a rare medical condition that contributes to snoring.
- Dental Issues
Infections in a dachshund’s teeth can put pressure on the nasal cavity and block the smooth flow of air. Also, dachshunds can be particularly prone to dental issues so please consult your veterinarian regularly.
- Physical Obstructions
A dachshund is a scent hound, and most have a love for digging. Your dog might have something stuck in its nose while digging and sniffing around.
- Second-Hand Smoke
Many people overlook their own personal habits as a factor in their pet’s life. Smoking around a dachshund may damage its respiratory system, leading to asthma, bronchitis, and snoring.
- Fungal Disease
Dachshund snoring may be a result of a fungal disease called aspergillosis. This disease is caused mainly by mold often picked up on grass, hay, or dust. The badger instincts in dachshunds put them at high risk of infection. The fungus enters through the nose’s moist lining and causes sneezing, nasal discharge, and snoring.
How To Fix Snoring In A Dachshund
Dog snoring can be bothersome as your dog will have a disturbed sleep pattern and wake up tired and grumpy. The snoring does affect not only the dog but also you as the owner. No one wants to be kept up all night by a snoring pet.
Ways to prevent a dachshund from snoring include:
- Get a round bed for your dachshund
A circular bed encourages it to curl up, and this helps expand the air passages removing pressure on the esophagus.
- Calming & Comfortable: Our calming dog bed is 20% more plush than most competitors, making it softer and comfier. Its high-quality, calming, and warm faux shag fur creates a safe place for your pet to rest and relax.
- Soothing Support: This donut dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim snuggles your cat or dog, offering optimal head and neck support and a sense of security. Premium ultra-soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- Pet-Safe: This standard 100 by OEKO-TEX certified dog bed creates a safe and comfortable space for your pet to relax and rejuvenate.
- Cozy For All Pets: Our S size bed is 23"x23" and comfortably fits dogs up to 25 lbs. If you're unsure about size, choose one size up for extra comfort. The non-slip bottom keeps the round dog bed secure for easy access in and out.
- Versatile & Easy Care: The minimalist design of this fluffy dog bed fits seamlessly into any space. Find your perfect look with a variety of available colors. Sizes XS-L are fully machine washable. Size XL features a washable removable cover.
Last update on 2023-11-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Use a humidifier
The nose and throat might get irritated by dry air, which increases snoring severity. A humidifier in your dog’s sleeping area can help add moisture to the air. Alternatively, this can also be achieved by having damp clothing around the dog’s bed or water over a considerably large surface area.
- INSTANT DRY AIR RELIEF: Ultrasonic cool mist technology safely and quickly moisturizes dry air for up to 25 hours of continuous operation in medium to large rooms up to 250 square feet. Powerful mist output with high and low settings makes this humidifier ideal for bedrooms, baby nurseries, office, and indoor plants.
- YEAR-ROUND COMFORT: High and low-speed settings combined with a 360° mist nozzle help you consistently balance and regulate the humidity in your home all year long for relief from congestion, coughs, cold-like symptoms, allergies, dry skin, and sinus issues.
- ENCOURAGE RESTFUL SLEEP: Easily run the humidifier overnight to maintain a healthy humidity level in your space. The optional night light offers a soothing glow while the whisper-quiet operation ensures you can sleep peacefully without any disturbance.
- EASY-FILL TANK & AUTO SHUT-OFF: The sleek and transparent 1.5 liter water tank is easy to fill right from your kitchen or bathroom sink and the compact design doesn’t take up too much tabletop space. Plus, the automatic shut-off feature turns the humidifier off when the water level is low or the tank is removed.
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: This BPA-free humidifier comes with an AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, and Pure Enrichment’s guaranteed 5-Year Warranty. Our customer support team provides quality service and peace of mind to millions worldwide all from a brand you can trust.
Last update on 2023-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Minimize allergens
Keeping your dog away from elements that affect its respiratory systems, such as dust and smoke, and trigger snoring. Also, you may consider getting an air purifier for your room.
- A 45W long-life high-torque motor, a versatile 8.7" x 8.7" x 14.2" size, a 7.48 lb weight, a 141CFM CADR and up to 1095 ft² of purification area. Every aspect of Core 300 is designated for a better purification effect.Humidity: < 85% RH. Standby Power: < 0.8W. Operating Conditions Temperature: 14°–104°F / -10°–40°C..Power Supply : AC 120V, 60Hz
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in 12 minutes with the Core 300 Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology, 360° air intake, and CADR of 141 CFM / 240 m³/h (Clean Air Delivery Rate), Core 300 can purify air of a 1,095 ft² space once in one hour. The higher the CADR of an air purifier, the larger its purification area
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. the efficient filter of the 3-in-1 filter removes dust, pollen, and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns (µm)
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
Last update on 2023-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In cases of overweight dachshunds, exercising your dog and watching its diet is essential in maintaining a recommended weight, preventing fat buildup around the throat area, which constrict airflow and cause snoring.
- Breakthrough adult dry dog food clinically proven for weight management
- Over 70 % of adult dogs lost weight within 10 weeks when fed this safe & effective weight management dog food
- Help your grown dog maintain a healthy weight with this dog food
- This adult dog food supports muscle maintenance
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Last update on 2023-11-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Getting a puppy pillow
A dog pillow will help prop your dachshund’s head. Most dogs sleep with their snouts out, with their necks resting against the ground. If you teach your dog how to use a pillow, the change in position may help fix the snoring problem.
- Check for infections
If your dog suddenly starts snoring, it may be caused by a reaction to an allergen or a symptom of a disease. This is especially true if the dog begins sneezing or having a runny nose. A visit to the vet is recommended if the symptoms don’t go away within few days.
- Treating the cause
In the worst-case scenario, if a dachshund snores due to a known disorder or illness such as sleep apnea, treatment might be the only option.
To sum up, dachshund snoring is perfectly normal. Some conditions are hereditary and cannot be prevented. Before you start trying to prevent your Dachshund from snoring, it is necessary to understand why it snores. However, if you feel your dog has a snoring disorder, do not hesitate to take it to the vet. Simple preventive or curative measures are good for both the dog and the owner.
People Also Ask:
Do dachshunds have a favorite person?
Dachshunds will usually develop one favorite person. This person is usually the person they spend the most time with or the individual who had raised them since they were a puppy.
Is it normal for dachshunds to sleep a lot?
Dachshunds do sleep a lot. It is not unusual for a dachshund to sleep up to or around 14 hours per day. You can expect a puppy or senior dachshund to sleep even more.
Why do dachshunds sleep under blankets?
Dachshunds sleep under blankets because it is in their nature to burrow. They were bred to be hunters, and are comfortable being in tight enclosed spaces. Don’t be surprised if your dachshund likes to cuddle with you and burrow under blankets.